Wes’ Chips has been a longstanding tradition in the Ottawa Valley since 1960. People have travelled far and wide to get a taste of the famous Wes’ french fries! What began as a simple, mobile chip truck has now become a permanent landmark on Madawaska Boulevard in Arnprior.
It all began in 1960, when Wes and Monique Dodds bought an old 1956 Ford truck. They set up their business selling french fries on old Highway 17, which is now Russet Drive. Wes experimented with different potatoes and oil until he developed the “secret recipe”. The reputation of Wes’ Chips grew through word of mouth and loyal customers who returned year after year. At one point, Wes operated a second chip truck and attended local fairs, but decided in the mid 60’s to buy a piece of land with a permanent location on the current site on Madawaska Boulevard. An addition was added to accommodate the growing volume of business.
After 32 years in business, Wes and Monique decided to retire and sold the business to Karen Bretzlaff and André Post. Karen was a returning Arnprior native and her husband, André was from The Netherlands. Together they learned the secret of success from Wes.
To the present day, Wes’ Chips continues to operate out of the original 1956 Ford, selling the same great tasting french fries. The dedicated staff return year after year to provide friendly and efficient service to their customers. The chip truck is open from March 1 to Thanksgiving Monday, 7 days a week, 10 am to 7 pm (8 pm in the summer months). Stop by to say hello and taste these mouthwatering french fries for yourself!